Friday, April 16, 2010

A Reply to Deb's Comments


Did you serious riders/readers have an opportunity to read Deb's comments on my recent post? Thanks for that, Deb - I think you nailed it. Indeed - last night's delays and lack of communication about train status were a PR nightmare for NJ Transit, although I assume that with budget and service cuts, this is only a preview of what's to come: more lines and equipment down, fewer individuals to service and maintain them, fewer trains overall and more irate riders.

Gonna be a hootnanny!

Listen, as for the hearing, I give you a TON of credit for going. I know your remarks were measured, accurate and well delivered. But you also had to know going into it that NJ Transit was just going through the motions, right? I mean, the "leak" of a memo projecting a 30% increase was likely designed to shock us into accepting a 25% increase (by their hillbilly calculations) was a gift.

If they were really people-focused and heard the valid concerns their riders, they would not have only offered a break to bus and light rail riders, they would have rolled back the hike on train fares as well, wouldn't you think?

So, although I am generally not a conspiracy theorist, (and have limited tolerance for those who are,)as a PR hack myself, I do appreciate masterful manipulation of the masses. And that, my friends, is what happened. Because even though we are all threatening to drive or quit our jobs or hire rickshaws - honestly now - most of us are still going to line up on April 20 to get our May passes just like steer queue up right before they end up on a McBun.

Am I right?

3 comments:

  1. deb, just a chick on a choo chooApril 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM

    Right on sista, lemme ask you this.....If you overspent your budget by say $300 million, would you still have a job?

    By the way - I drove in today....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, when you passed me standing there near Exit 9 with my thumb out, how come you didn't stop to pick me up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. deb - just a chick on a choo chooApril 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM

    Gotta call to let me know - driving fast to beat the train!

    ReplyDelete